Thursday, September 20, 2007

Interesting drug

I had to take Declan to the doctors office yesterday for strep throat...again. The three of us just had it two weeks ago. So she wants to put him on something stronger and of course more expensive. Seventy five bucks for ten pills is hard to swallow especially when they choose to spit it out. So on my way out I ask if they ever give the shot of antibiotics. Hello, why didn't I think of that before? Brian and I always get the shot if available. It just makes more sense and you feel better faster. So they gave him the shot that they keep secret and I didn't have to pay extra. This shot hurt like hell though and I might think twice before putting my child through that pain (I had to practically sit on his little body while the nurse injected his little butt cheek).

So, in all this guilt building moment, I promise to buy him a toy. Listen, it helped get him through it. Anyhow, at the end of all this we end up at costco for lunch. All was leisurely and quiet at the costco food court until...the crazy bus rolls in. You know who they are, they get to see daylight once a month from the group home. They are eating lunch with the chaperons and one sat alone. I kept watching him because he was, well, acting like a crazy. I thought for sure he was going to puke which was the last thing I wanted to see, hear or smell. So finally after a few minutes he gets off his seat and kneels. I'm sitting there in suspense waiting for what he does next. He flops face down ever so gently and starts into a seizure. A mild one by the way, he twitched a little. Five minutes into it and twelve costco and spectrum mall officials later and he is still face down. The security guard is getting reamed, the crazies are watching very intently and I am cracking up. Not at this man's condition but at the situation. The garbage guy could have yelled "call 9-1-1" instead of "hey we got one down (not being heard by who he is addressing yells louder) HEY we got one down here". The security guy could do his job and tell people to keep on moving. One of those twelve employees could wait for the firemen out front and update them on there slow leisurely walk into the mall. Apparently they know this guy. "He does this all the time" is what they tell costco. There prescription for what ailed him was a slice of pizza and a coke. So was he faking? Who knows. But Declan forgot all about his throbbing bum when the firemen walked in. He kept flashing them thumbs up because he adores them so much. And he waved them goodbye until they were out of site.

Let me tell you what. I love days like that; when I get to see goof at it's finest. To end the day, we had a nice meal with the missionaries and brownies for dessert and Declan got a new bulldozer.

3 comments:

Val said...

Poor Declan. I've never thought of asking for "the shot". Sierra always spit out the medicine,still does half the time. Wow, he knows how to score the toys though. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Man I miss all the good stuff, and I too LOVE shot antibiotics!

little jill said...

I have those boxes--I hope I didn't miss you needing them so soon. Our weekend was crazy. Just e-mail me at jcandland@cox.net and let me know if you still need them, they are all on my back porch.